Finding the Silver Lining
With the current global situation with the COVID-19 pandemic, thousands of people have had plans put on hold. Some are very wary of booking any further travel, yet the savviest of travellers know that this too shall pass and look for the silver lining. So let’s look at some positives for those of us who love to travel.
- Being in isolation gives us plenty of time to start dreaming and planning of where we will go once this has all settled down. Start putting that bucket list together and do your research now so that when it’s ok to travel again, you’ve done your homework and can take advantage of the special deals that come out following this.
- With everyone’s travel plans on hold, travel consultants will no doubt experience a period of down-time. That’s a great time to talk through your plans and get some tentative costings so you know where you’re at when you’re ready to book.
- Booking now means you can capitalise on some of the most flexible terms and conditions the industry has ever seen. Airlines are offering unlimited changes for free, or credits for up to a year if you have to change your plans. Cruise lines are offering much more flexible cancellation policies, as well as reduced deposit and payment requirements. This hasn’t happened for a very long time- if ever!
- The recent events have really highlighted the value of booking through an agent. For those whose plans were cancelled, or had to come home early, their travel agent suddenly became their new best friend! When it all goes back to normal and people start looking to travel again, it’s likely travel agents will be run off their feet – both with people re-booking their travel or putting plans in place that have been put on hold, as well as booking those people who would previously have booked online but now want the back up of a travel agent.
- Cruise lines, airlines and hotels will be wanting your business. This pandemic has hit the travel industry hard so they’ll be wanting to get people back on board. Whether this will mean some good deals or not initially is unkown however given the reduction in competition with those businesses that didn’t survive dropping out, it would be reasonable to expect prices will go up with the lack of competition. So with the flexible conditions and cheaper prices, it actually makes sense to book while all this is going on!
- Heightened awareness around hygiene and the additional processes put in place across all sectors can only be a good thing! People and suppliers will be even more vigilant about washing and sanitising hands etc. That’s fantastic for the cruise industry!
- Once this is over, there will never be a better time to put your dollar back into the economy. Businesses all around the world will be suffering as a result of the Covid-19. There will be a lot of café owners, tour operators, craft stall owners who will be hurting badly – your purchase or your custom may well make all the difference to them. Those islands or countries so dependent upon tourism will be desperate for the return of the traveller.
- Having something positive to look forward to may make being isolation a whole lot easier!
- Finally, savvy travellers will realise that travel in the first part of 2020 coming to a virtual halt means those people will now be looking to book for 2021. With reduced capacity (and unfortunately with some businesses no longer around), there’s going to be less availability and particularly small ships are going to fill up much faster.
So although some people will say it’s crazy to be thinking about travelling while all this is going on, there’s actually very good reason to be putting those plans in place now. The world will recover and people will travel again – especially Australians and New Zealanders who are known to be hardy intrepids! Those places you’ve always dreamt about seeing will still be there. Will you be staying home or getting out there and seeing it?