North AmericaA Tale of Two Americas
Cruising North America just got better with this fantastic 24 night special package! From the gorgeous “Anne of Green Gables” countryside to the hustle and bustle of New York and the rhythm and blues of New Orleans, this cruise package showcases some of the best of North America!
Your adventure begins with a free overnight stop in Los Angeles before arriving in Halifax, Canada. With two days to explore Halifax, you’ll have time to recover from any jetlag as well as see the sights before joining the MV Victory I for your river cruise to Buffalo. Once onboard, it’s time to relax and unwind as you head to Charlottetown for a day and then sail the Gulf of St Lawrence en route to Quebec City. Beautifully French, with gorgeous architecture, National Parks, formidable waterfalls 30 metres higher than Niagara falls and more … Quebec is sure to captivate you!
Next stop is Montreal, home of the magnificent Notre-Dame Basilica, Underground City, shops, museums, theatres and cafes. It’s a delightful blend of old versus new.
Finally, what visit to this part of Canada would be complete without a visit to the famous Niagara Falls? Hear the thunderous rush as 3160 tons of water flows over the Falls every second! This is truly a sight to behold!
After disembarking in Buffalo, we take the train to New York for a 3 night stay allowing you time to visit famous sites such as the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Ground Zero and more.
Then, it’s a flight to New Orleans and Part 2 of your epic journey begins! Enjoy one night in New Orleans before your next cruise. Soak up the vibe, enjoy a touch of Jazz, discover the French Quarter, Bourbon Street , Jackson Square and more!
The next day, step aboard the stately American Queen for your cruise to Memphis. Discover the Nottoway Plantation with her gracious Antebellum Mansion, capture the romance of plying the Mississippi aboard a genuine Paddlewheeler and get your Elvis fill with a Graceland Platinum ticket.
See below for full itinerary details.
Your fly/cruise/stay package departs 02 May 2020 and includes:
• Return economy class airfare from Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne to Halifax (via Los Angeles) and ex Memphis on return inc tax
• FREE 1 nights accommodation at LAX airport – Hyatt Regency at Los Angeles International or similar with complimentary 24 hour airport shuttle bus included
• One way transfer from Halifax airport to hotel
• 2 nights accommodation in Halifax pre-cruise including breakfast
• One way group shuttle transfer from Halifax hotel to port
• 9 night small ship cruise aboard the MV Victory I from Halifax (Canada) to Buffalo, NY (USA) including: Onboard accommodation with 100% Egyptian cotton bedding, Personal robes and slippers (use of), Top of the line bath amenities that are environmentally sensitive, Premium mattresses, In-room electronic safe, Individual climate controlled air conditioning, LCD flat screen television (satellite), Alarm clock with USB port, Hair dryer, Telephone (calls additional), Daily housekeeping with nightly turndown service
• Your Victory I cruise includes: All shipboard main meals featuring regional cuisine | Complimentary free-flowing house wines, beer and spirits onboard cruise | Complimentary cocktail hour before dinner each evening | Complimentary shipboard wi-fi | High tea service on `At Sea` or sailing days during cruise | A full range of included shore excursions with local guides | Onboard enrichment program with lectures by historians, naturalists with local experience | Port & Govt taxes of US $459 per person | Ships gratuities of US $149 per person
• One way transfer from Buffalo port to train station
• FREE One way business class rail ticket from Buffalo to New York including complimentary non-alcoholic beverages.
• One way transfer from New York Penn Station to hotel
• 3 nights accommodation in New York City at the Royalton Park Ave Hotel (or similar)
• One way transfer from New York hotel to airport
• One way economy class airfare^ from New York to New Orleans inc tax
• One way transfer from New Orleans airport to hotel
• 1 nights accommodation pre-cruise in New Orleans with breakfast
• One way shared coach transfer from hotel to port on cruise departure day
• 7 night Mississippi River cruise aboard the American Queen from New Orleans to Memphis including: All onboard meals, including both fine dining and casual cuisine | Complimentary Hop-On Hop-Off shore excursions in each port of call | All onboard meals, including both fine dining and casual cuisine | 24-Hour Room Service onboard cruise | Complimentary wine and beer with dinner onboard | Complimentary cappuccino, espresso, specialty coffees, tea, bottled water and soft drinks throughout your cruise voyage | Port charges of USD $199 per person | Prepaid ships gratuities of USD $137 per person
• One way shared coach transfer from port to hotel New Orleans including 5 hour sightseeing `Elvis Experience` tour featuring a self-guided iPad tour through Graceland Mansion, Graceland VIP Extension Tour & Walking Beale Street tour
• 2 nights accommodation in Memphis at the Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel with daily breakfast
• 3-day Memphis trolley pass ticket for transportation at your leisure throughout downtown Memphis
• Admission to 3 of the highest rated attractions in Memphis: Legendary Sun Studio, Rock `N` Soul Museum and The National Civil Rights Museum
• One way transfer from Memphis hotel to airport Plus also receive:
• FREE! Chauffeur driven luxury car transfers from your home to/from your nearest international airport (within 35 km)
Package prices start from A$14,995 per person share twin in a Category C - Oceanview Package is subject to availability.
Please ask for full terms and conditions.
MS Victory I
The indisputable joy of sailing is brought to life on the M/V Victory I, an agile intimate ship that easily navigates canals and locks, tranquil bays, and hidden ports where larger ships dare not go. Onboard, our fresh, modern design tips its hat to our maritime past as spacious open-air lounges, inviting dining venues, and generous windows ensure you never miss a chance to savor the spectacular view.
With a caring crew of 84, pampering no more than 202 guests, you’ll feel at home from the moment you step on board. Whether it’s a favorite cocktail served on deck or the delicate chocolate on your pillow ensuring sweet dreams, our attentive, intuitive staff are available whenever you need them. Serving you is our pleasure.
Aboard the M/V Victory I, you’ll often travel in the company of engaging specialists focusing on areas where our journey takes us. They share their expertise freely in presentations and impromptu discussions throughout the journey. In port, included shore excursions with knowledgeable local guides provide meaningful opportunities to uncover the rich history, unique wildlife, and fascinating cultures of the destinations you will visit.
As one of the largest steamboats ever built, the grand American Queen is a gracious and elegant triumph of American ingenuity. Although filled with today’s modern amenities, her staterooms display are reminiscent of the American Victorian era. Glistening woodwork, fresh flowers and antiques adorn her interior spaces. Outside, lacy filigree evokes memories of the many stately riverboats that preceded her and so inspired her designers.
While on board, you can select a volume from the vast collection in the Mark Twain Gallery, the boat’s library. Or enjoy a sing-along in the Main Deck Lounge, and then tap your toes to a lavish show in the two-deck-tall Grand Saloon, the most elegant showplace on the river.
Combining the best of the old and the new, this beautiful lady of the river epitomizes the grace and grandeur that has made River Cruising a cherished American tradition for more than two centuries.
Victory I: Day 1: Hotel Stay in Halifax
Enjoy a complimentary stay at the pre-cruise hotel. The evening allows time to become acquainted with the city. For your convenience, our Hospitality Desk will be located in the hotel, and our friendly staff can assist with everything from general questions about the upcoming voyage to reservation of premium experiences. Representatives will be available to provide suggestions for dining, entertainment and sightseeing options to maximize your time here.
Day 2: Halifax
Coastal living, rugged wilderness and urban polish converge around Nova Scotia’s capital. Drink in the lively mix of historic and modern in the beating heart of this lively seaport. Bustling streets slope down toward indigo brine and oceanic splendor, stretching east into oblivion. Bathe in botanical beauty at the Public Gardens. The fortified summit of Citadel Hill – never needed for actual protection – stands as a testament to the peaceful nature of the nation. The Maritime Museum of the Atlantic and the Canadian Museum of Immigration offer their own remarkable perspectives.
Day 3: Scenic Sailing Through the Strait of Canso
Unwind in seascape and sunlight as the canvas of turquoise and emerald slips by. Scenic sailing reveals the uncommon beauty of the Strait of Canso. Laze in the grace that envelops, and be sure to seize the excellence within the vessel. Daytime entertainment and regionally inspired cuisine rival anything on land. Take a fancy to sailing, and enjoy this opportunity to venture beyond the cliffs.
Day 4: Charlottetown
From the red-earthed muse of “Anne of Green Gables” sprouts opportunity for exploration. Charlottetown, planted within the Garden of the Gulf, invites travelers to rollick in whimsical architecture and rose-gold shorelines. Beachside vistas embrace emerald pastures while a charming city center boasts the boons of life as a port community. Stroll through downtown, allow the sounds of street performers to dance through the eardrums and discover the seduction of ocean-to-table cuisine. An equipoise of big-city energy with quiet spaces awaits on the shorelines.
Day 5: Scenic Sailing on the Gulf of St. Lawrence
Rocky walls rise up toward firmament, embracing those who venture onto this stunning span of water. Perhaps morning will dawn upon wispy mists of coastal fog to greet early risers. See where the day takes you – a brisk walk on the Sun Deck, a cozy pint in The Tavern or just watching the scenery slip past…let your mood shift with the breeze, indulging every whim.
Day 6: Scenic Sailing on the St. Lawrence Seaway
The ebb and flow of the tides reach the river here. Revel in the fetch of the gentle waves and another unhurried day of exploring the decks, taking in the view from different perspectives and sharing time with friends.
Day 7: Québec City
The old-world charm of this ramparted enclave beckons visitors from around the globe. She is a French fille at heart – a glittering jewel brightening the banks of the St. Lawrence. From a raised mound of earth, Château Frontenac towers toward the heavens over Upper Town, evoking the grandeur of a country estate. Traces of the city’s English heritage bloom in the mixed borders of the living artwork within Joan of Arc Garden. Just moments in the sleek gentility of this marvelous destination, and you’ll feel as if you were whisked across the Atlantic for a whirlwind European getaway.
Day 8: Montreal
The St. Lawrence Seaway abuts land where old Europe meets contemporary design – in Montreal. Feel the pulse of this diverse and vibrant city on an optional pre- or post-cruise premium experience. On a half-day driving tour, survey the splendor of the view from the Mount Royal Overlook, then slip beneath the metropolitan surface to explore Underground City and its dazzling array of shops, art venues, theaters and cafés. The medieval ambiance of the Gothic Revival Notre-Dame Basilica enchants all. Throughout the city, ornate edifices and alluring locations hint at Montreal’s wealth of cultural treasures.
Day 9: Scenic Sailing on Lake Ontario
The lower reaches of the St. Lawrence give way to unspeakable splendor at Thousand Islands, the glorious corridor leading us onto the lake. Search the intricate maze of lichen-cloaked mounds for glimpses of their bounty of wildlife.
Day 10: Port Colborne (Niagara Falls)
A short motorcoach ride from Port Colborne is Niagara Falls, which attracts millions of visitors each year. At the site, Horseshoe Falls inspires awe. How many shimmering rainbows can you spot in the refreshing spray? The rumbling din of cascading waters forms a serene frequency. A narrated driving tour reveals popular attractions such as Whirlpool Rapids, the Floral Clock and Table Rock Park, with a stop downtown.
Day 11: Disembark in Buffalo
American Queen: Day 1: Hotel Stay – New Orleans
Enjoy your complimentary stay at the Hilton New Orleans Riverside. The evening is yours to get self-acquainted with the many treasures of New Orleans.
Day 2: New Orleans, LA Departure 5:00 PM
Today is the big day! Spend your last day here in the city of New Orleans before embarking on an unforgettable journey! After you are comfortably aboard the vessel, wave “Au Revoir” to New Orleans as we set off on an incredible adventure up the Mighty Mississippi!
Day 3: Nottoway, LA
Nottoway is the South’s largest, most glorious remaining Antebellum mansion with a rich history dating back to 1859. In a fabulous location along the great River Road overlooking the grand Mississippi River, this “White Castle” of the South transports visitors back to an era of glory and grandeur. Set amongst a natural backdrop of vibrant gardens and two hundred-year-old oak trees, Nottoway Plantation captivates all with a brilliant blend of true Southern hospitality, history and mystery.
Day 4: St. Francisville, LA
Established in 1809, St. Francisville is the oldest town in the Florida Parishes. Below where St. Francisville is located currently, was a settlement called Bayou Sara in the 1790’s. When this settlement was destroyed by flooding and fires, many of the structures and artifacts were hauled up the bluff into St. Francisville where they are still standing. The town is referred to as “two miles long and two yards wide,” but that definitely doesn’t mean they have nothing to offer! With over 140 buildings on the National Register, beautiful plantation homes nestled in the rolling countryside and bustling Main Street shops, this quaint town situated on the bluffs of the Mississippi River has a style all its own.
Day 5: Natchez, MS
This charming river town was first inhabited by Natchez Indians and French explorers who shared the land. It was founded in 1716, making it the oldest city on the Mississippi. The city is known for its elegance, hospitality, and impressive preservation of history – found on every street corner throughout Natchez. Guests enjoy the unique shops, restaurants, museums, and historical homes located in Natchez, all of which contribute to Hugh Bayless’ book, “The 100 Best Towns in America.”
Day 6: Vicksburg, MS
Vicksburg perfectly blends Southern culture and heritage with exciting modern-day attractions. Described as the “Key to the South” by Abraham Lincoln, this southern town carries a history unlike any other Civil War city. Vicksburg was founded in 1811 and grew as a vital river port city. It was a major component to the Civil War and carries much of the history within the town. Today, Vicksburg is a popular spot for tourists to learn about the battles of the city, taste the cuisine, visit the many museums, and pick out the perfect souvenir.
Day 7: Greenville, MS
The Mississippi Delta is more than a geographical region. It is a way of life – a true cultural experience based around agriculture, music and history. These small river towns have been the inspiration for authors, musicians and artists for centuries. Lower Mississippi River voyages include a unique glimpse into a Port of the Mississippi Delta.
Day 8: Leisurely River Cruising
Relax on deck with a copy of Huckleberry Finn or another imaginative selection borrowed from our revered Mark Twain Gallery, enjoy some quiet time in the Ladies’ Tea Parlor, or recruit your fellow guests for an exciting board game in our Gentlemen’s Card Room. For a remarkable one-of-a-kind experience, take a guided tour of the American Queen’s Engine Room to explore the inner workings of our classic, steam-powered vessel. There is always plenty to do between dawn and dusk on the river!
Day 9: Memphis, TN
Arrival 8:00 AM Disembark.
- River Cruise
- All meals
- Boutique &/or Salon
- Pool &/or Spa
- Shore Excursions
- Solo Traveller Friendly
- Built Date 1995
- Crew 160
- Capacity 436
- Length 127M
- River Cruising
The largest steamboat ever built, the grand American Queen is a gracious and elegant triumph of American ingenuity.
Although filled with today’s modern amenities, her rooms and accommodations display all the opulence of the American Victorian era. Glistening woodwork, fresh flowers and antiques adorn her interior spaces. Outside, lacy filigree evokes memories of the many stately riverboats that preceded her and so inspired her designers.
Meals + Wine
Pool &/or Spa